AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA BREAKA MY STRIDE!

aint' nothin gonna slow me down, oh no, I got to keep on movin!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Can I?

Run in jeans? Because that would just be so much more convenient. One thing I am learning about this new "hobby" (that's for you Nick!) is that it requires a bit of overhauling in the clothing department. Now I think running in jeans would not be so bad-at first...but Nick and my sister in law Gina said no. So I have a sweet new running shirt, compliments of my friend and coach, Katie. And APPARENTLY I need to buy some running pants with a secret fanny pack on the rear end. Runners sport these pants all the time-there is a little pocket on the rear end for keys and MACE (Mr. Diddles Repellent) but let's get real and recognize that the pocket is indeed, a facsimile fanny pack. Facsimile means "fake" and I really like that word. I will sport the fake fanny pack running pants soon and take a picture. I SORT OF want a REAL fanny pack, just because they are so, so out of control. But I digress.
There is an amazing skier who taught my husband everything he knows, and this skier used to blare down the mountain in, you guessed it, jeans. I get it Steve Gonnella-it was more convenient and they kept you warm. You had no problem showing your kids how to ski in jeans and you thought nothing of it that perhaps it was not the most fashionable thing to wear...nope, you had a mission and it was to ski and have fun. Mine is to run and have fun? So if you see me running down the road in jeans, don't judge.
Now, the current issue in my little running world is this. Shin splints. What the hell? You know I already hate exercise and now it is painful? The "old" Becca would have cashed in her wristband and moved on to a martini. But I am not giving up. Instead I am going to get fitted for some serious running shoes. And I am going for a light jaunt tonight. I will include a diagram of shin splints and then it will probably be blocked and taken off my blog page, and replaced with a little box and question mark. I am learning the ropes here people-bear with me. Shin splints feel like someone has prodded a hot searing knife into the upper part of your shin and when you think about walking, you really would rather crawl. It's a darn good thing I have the needs of my kids to get me up and moving throughout the day, otherwise, this shin splint stuff could have warranted a major binge session with movies on the couch. See? I'm that lazy sometimes...even the smallest ailment would give me an excuse to become stagnant. But stagnant does not produce RESULTS people and WE ARE AFTER RESULTS HERE! SO INSTEAD OF BEING A LAZY BAG, I AM GOING TO JOG TONIGHT NO MATTER HOW BAD IT HURTS AND NO MATTER HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT. I AM GOING THE DISTANCE! I'M GOING FOR SPEED! And thanks for the comments-its like a little cheerleading squad, and I never really understood the need for cheerleaders, but now I do. Gooooooo team Gonnella!
R



1 comment:

  1. Ok, first of all...don't ever refer to my cool bottom pocket at fannypack again...:) not cool...2nd, don't put mace in yor "bottom pocket" for two reasons: #1 you really don't want it to accidently open and spray you there...and #2 if a cougar or "mr. diddles" is coming at you, you don't want to be digging around in your "bottom pocket" to get it out, turn it on and spray...by then, the cougar will have devoured your head for lunch. You run with the mace in your hand armed and ready, my friend. The "bottom pocket" is for your phone/car key or GU (which I can explain the importance of at a later date...no need to depress you when you are feeling this good about running!).

    ReplyDelete